Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Oh those swedes!/ Stig Linberg








I have never owned a Stig Linberg! There I said it, It makes me a bit sad. The number of times I have been outbid on a “Stig” on E-Bay is staggering. His work is incredibly collectable, Out of all the Swedish ceramic artists, He is probably the best known, although he also in his time became renowned for his designs in china, enamel and textiles and also achieved prominence as an illustrator, sculptor and even furniture designer.



Born in 1916, Stig Lindberg was one of the most prolific designers in Scandinavia. For many Swedes, he is representative of the playful design of the 1950’s. In Swedish homes you can often find various objects which he created, Lindberg studied at the Swedish State School of Arts, Crafts and Design in Stockholm, hoping to become a painter. After graduating in 1937 he accepted an employment as a faience painter at Gustavsberg Pottery where he mainly contributed up until 2 years before his death in 1982.


I love his textiles, but it is his ceramics that I find truly amazing, The organic shapes are like no other and his use of color is after a palette of my own heart, I just love his play on color and the combinations he uses, He has influenced me a lot that way as a Stylist.

Don’t you worry, my collection of Stig will happen, of that I am certain, I just need to be even more E-Bay savvy. Either that or a trip to Sweden will be on the cards.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment