Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Art & Toys/ Berlin


Cover of the Program and Portrait of Selim Varol
Photography: Marcus Hay
Photography: Marcus Hay
Photography: Marcus Hay
Photography: Marcus Hay
Photography: Marcus Hay
Photography: Marcus Hay
Photography: Marcus Hay
Photography: Marcus Hay
Photography: Marcus Hay
Picture of Gallery Space



I recently got back from another yearly adventure in Berlin. As usual I was struck with the raw energy and ideas in abundance that engulfed me. On the streets, in the galleries and in the stores, new exciting product and art seemed endless. One exhibition I saw was Art & Toys. Having been a fan and a much smaller collector of collectible toys, this exhibition blew me away! Two levels of the most fantastical collection of toys and artwork. Collected in themes and sometimes within a body of a particular artist, it made realize the relevance and power these supposedly simple childlike (but not so childlike) toys had. There is and has been a movement that revolves around the clever designs of collectible toys for some time, this exhibition seemed to encompass all of this and more, It was way beyond what I see at my local Urban Outfitters Store.  
me Collectors Room Berlin have one of the largest collections of figurines/toys and street art in Europe, if not the world – collected over the last 20 and more years by Selim Varol.The exhibition is incredibly large and it includes a total of 3,000 works by more than 200 artists and designers from over 20 countries. Works from KAWSShepard FaireyBanksyFuturaJose Parla and tons are on display. 
Selim Varol, known amongst the toy collectors community as the owner of Toykio in Düsseldorf. He is also a huge art collector and has been supporting contemporary artists from around the world in building a huge collection. He is also, of course, a huge fan and collector of vinyl toys. The exhibition brings together the two elements of Art and Toys.
I really love the curation of this exhibition, The way it was laid out, The different rooms, The viewing chairs and seating areas, Most of all as a fellow collector of objects I was just gob smacked by the sheer volume of this collection and I thought I had a lots of vases!  
If in Berlin, Try and see this amazing exhibition, It is on till the 16th of September

No comments:

Post a Comment